The government published a new report on American food availability, the last of which was published over a decade ago. A lot can change in a decade and this is big news for dietary advice.
The report confirms the findings of the first report over a decade ago. In all possible ways, the American people have followed official dietary advice. All of this dietary advice kicked off in the 1980s, so if you were born anytime in the last 40 years, you’ve been eating ALL wrong for optimal health.
WE EAT MORE of all the foods that we were told to increase:
- Fresh Fruit – up 35%
- Fresh vegetables – up 20%
- Wheat flour – up 21%
- Fish and shellfish – up 23%
- Chicken (which we were told to eat instead of red meat) – up 114%
- Nuts – up 51%
WE EAT LESS of all the foods that we were told to decrease:
- Red meat – down 28%
- Beef – down 35%
- Pork – down 11%
- Veal, lamb, and mutton – down 78%
- Eggs – down 13%
WE ALSO CHANGED THE FATS IN OUR FOODS, as we were told:
- Whole milk – down 79%, low fat and skim milk – up 127%
- Animal fats (saturated fats) – down 27%
- Vegetable fats and oils (unsaturated fats) – up 87%
- Salad and cooking oils – up 248%
Added sugars continue to be the worst offender, despite every attempt to reign them in Americans consumption is still up 10%. This is in large part due to high-fructose corn syrup (up 8,212%). Refined cane and beet sugars are down 33%.
What Does It All Mean?
- America did as we were told and did a GREAT job following the guidelines for the last 30 years.
- Obesity is rampant, diabetes is out of control, heart disease has been climbing for decades and to blame any of these diseases or other nutrition-related diseases on saturated fats or red meat would be blatantly ignorant in the face of this data.
- Likewise, the current dogma of eating fresh fruit, veggies, wholes grains, nuts, and fish alone as the answer to optimal health is also highly contradicted by this data.
My recommendation, look closely at your diet. We have been lied to and this report is all you need to switch to a diet that is not only healthier for you but tastes better too! Enjoy your NY strip with butter and veggies, your body will thank you.